Apple has determined that, in a limited number of older generation 15-inch MacBook Pro units, the battery may overheat and pose a fire safety risk. Affected units were sold primarily between September 2015 and February 2017 and product eligibility is determined by the product serial number.
Customer safety is always Apple’s top priority, and Apple have voluntarily decided to replace affected batteries, free of charge.
Eligibility and Repair Process
- First check to see which 15-inch MacBook Pro you have. Choose About This Mac from the Apple menu () in the upper-left corner of your screen.
- Confirm your model is “MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).”
- If you have that model, visit the battery recall website here – https://support.apple.com/en-nz/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall and enter your computer’s serial number to see if it is eligible for this program.
- If your MacBook Pro is eligible, please stop using it and bring it in to us for service during the hours of Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5pm.
For these repairs no appointment is necessary.
- Your MacBook Pro will be examined prior to any service to verify that it is eligible for this program. Service may take 1-2 weeks.
- If you have questions or need further assistance, please contact Apple Support.
- To prepare your MacBook Pro for service, please back up your data – https://support.apple.com/en-nz/mac-backup
- This program is for battery replacement only. Please contact Apple Support and speak with an Advisor if you would like to arrange paid service for any additional issue. Your consumer law rights are unaffected by this program.
- This worldwide Apple program doesn’t extend the standard warranty coverage of the 15-inch MacBook Pro.
Visit the Apple 15-inch Macbook Pro Battery Recall website